How to Find the Best Family Lawyer in Adelaide
Finding the best family lawyer in Adelaide is one who is willing to listen to your exact requirements and to what you actually need. Family law relates to the relationships between human beings, all of whom are different in their own unique way. The best family lawyer is aware that not everyone wants to get revenge no matter the cost. They must know that in the final analysis, the most important things to people are different for every person. It might be the money, it might be the relationship with their children, it might be their dignity or it may very well be that they do want revenge for what has happened to them. The best family lawyer should also take the time to work with you to advise you of all the options that are available and then take the time to find out exactly what you need.
The best family lawyer in Adelaide will keep costs down and show you how to save money. There is a lot you can do yourself.
Prepare a list of all the assets. For example:
- Home: try to give an approximate value. You can find an indication of this on your Council Rates. Alternatively, simply look in the real estate section of the newspaper or on a real estate website to get an idea of what properties are selling for in your neighbourhood
- Mortgage: get an approximate pay out figure [what you owe]. If you are registered on the title, you can always telephone the bank and they should be able to tell you over the telephone or have a look for a recent bank statement
- Any other real estate: the same information is required as for your home
- Bank accounts: see if you can find a recent bank statement with an approximate balance for each account
- Shares: get a list and how many of each. Then have a look in the newspaper or on the Internet on the Australian Stock Exchange for approximate values.
- Furniture: depending on the amount of furniture you have, it is not necessary is it to do an itemised list in the early stages of getting advice. What we need is an approximate “cash” value. As a general guide, the cash value is usually less than one third of the cost to purchase the furniture brand-new. For example, if you have advised your insurance company that your furniture is valued at say, $60,000, it’s cash value would usually, be $15,000-$20,000. The best way to calculate is to imagine you are having a garage sale. Then imagine what someone would give you as a lump sum cash for the whole lot. For this reason, it is often best to try and divide furniture up between the parties as sometimes, the value of having the actual furniture (e.g. having actual television) is worth a lot more than having to go out and buy a new television.
- Superannuation: the name and approximate amounts in any superannuation funds is helpful. Superannuation funds are “property” for the purposes of a property settlement.
- With children, think through very carefully the practical reality is of the parents separating
- How would the children get to kindergarten/school/university each day
- Where to their friends live
- How will you get time off work to collect them from school or take them to sports training or ballet
- Where do the grandparents live and can they act as babysitters when you have other commitments
- Today have any special medical concern such as asthma, allergies or special medications they must take
- Who will look after them after school
- Want the children to take sides, taxi make decisions with whom they will live or which are preferred they be kept out of the dispute as much is possible
The best lawyer in Adelaide will help you through all of the many topics that need to be considered.
At Armour Allen Lawyers, we have over 40 years of experience in family law and have seen almost every situation one can imagine. Due to our experience, we know the most cost-effective approach to resolve claims at the least cost. We also understand that for many people, how important it is to get as much money as they can for themselves or to pay out as least as they have to do. If they are fighting over their children, to ensure that the children are not hurt by the process and that you end up with as much time with your children as you can.
If you are suffering an emotional crisis or breakdown, we can provide you with experts in the field to provide you with assistance and counseling where necessary.
Act Now – Don’t Delay Any Longer – First Interview Free
For more information or to discuss next steps, feel free to contact us. We also offer a first free interview at no cost and no obligation.